Reverb Time Machine
The SP2016 was the first programmable effects box available on the market. It introduced the concept of the ‘plug-in’ to the pro audio world back in 1982, with actual hardware chips that would be plugged in under the hood. Revered for its signature reverbs, the SP2016 was notably used by Dave Pensado, George Massenburg, Alan Sides, Roy Hendrickson, Jack Douglas, and Mick Guzauski. The lush reverb can be heard on countless hit records by Talking Heads, Adele, Mariah Carey, Eminem, and more. Now, 36 years later, this signature sound is available for your DAW.
Six Distinct Reverbs
The SP2016 reverbs have attracted a loyal user base by using a particular blend of art and science – the end result is an effect that sounds natural and distinctive. The plug-in includes authentic emulations of Room, Stereo Room, and Hi-Density Plate algorithms, each available in two versions: Vintage and Modern. The Vintage algorithms are true to the original box, all the way down to the bit-depth. The Modern algorithms are brighter, more diffuse, and use a higher bit-depth.
The algorithms naturally emulate every aspect of the sound of a real physical environment – from the complex early reflections, to the natural way in which the echo density increases with time, to the smooth Gaussian decay of the reverb tail. It’s a powerful simulation that lends itself to parametric control.
- Three distinct reverb types:
- Room: Your basic no-nonsense, no-frills ambient “room.” It’s a mono effect with stereo outputs. The extreme Pre-Delay range makes it possible to use this effect for reverberant doubling and single echoes.
- Stereo Room: Recreates the ambience of a large concert hall, with very clear, natural reverberation.
- Hi-Density Plate: Plate-type reverb with dual pickups simulating the effect of a bigger, heavier plate. This reverb allows you to make vocals, guitars and percussive instruments appear much bigger and brighter than they actually are.
- Includes a variety of presets including some by Dave Pensado, Richard Devine, Joe Chiccarelli, Sasha, George Massenburg, The Butcher Bros., Buda & Grandz, Erin Tonkon and more.